Mustard Eggs on a Mushroom
This is the ultimate veggie, grain-free, toast-free breakie! Most meals in western culture have some form of bread or grains and while i love my bread i can’t deny the benefits of going grain-free and reducing carbs. Grains and carbs are said to effect insulin sensitivity, your brain and mood, your digestion and immune function and also they’re addictive!
I’m not fanatical about any particular diet, i’m not fully paleo, i’m not vegan or vego, i like food too much to fully give one thing up. PLUS it just doesn’t make sense to me that one diet fits all. We are all different and you have to find what works for you. Of course if it was required of me to reduce fruit or natural sugars, carbs or grains, i totally believe in the healing benefits specific diets can have for certain conditions. When i was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid in my 20’s i went to a Chinese medicine doctor and was told to steer clear of certain things like dairy, iodine, soy and gluten, which i still try to avoid if i can. My thyroid hormone levels are now within normal levels and i don’t have to be so strict with my diet so i dabble in bread if i’m out, goats cheese or butter but for the most part i just i just try to keep the majority of my diet to these foods: fresh fruit and veg, healthy sources of protein like grass fed organic meat, i don’t eat a lot of fish but take an omega complex by Nordic Naturals, nuts and seeds, quinoa, oats, buckwheat, coconut oil, olive oil, hemp, filtered water, herbal tea and some fermented foods like kimchi and Kombucha. And lucky for me i enjoy it! I love REAL food, it just makes sense to me, it’s what i know. i think that’s the biggest problem people face when they’ve eaten processed foods their whole life, it’s what they know. Getting people familiar with REAL food and showing them that REAL food CAN taste undeniably better than processed junk is where it’s at. Plus the response they will get from their body will be enough to never go back to the junk food! i think enjoying your food is so important to the good that food does in your body.
Since carbs and bread are everywhere you look, i’m always looking for ways to eliminate bread from a meal but in a satisfying way. Enter, the giant mushroom. Field mushrooms are a great way to eliminate bread from your breakfast. They’re the perfect perch for your eggs to lay on and the flavours mix really well. Of course you can always go for a paleo bread but this is such an easy and quick alternative.
How to boil the perfect egg:
I like a semi soft boiled egg, there is nothing worse than an over cooked egg or a a watery uncooked egg. So i’ve found that 5mins and 30 seconds works wonders. This timing is best used for medium to large eggs.
- always wait until the water is fully boiled before putting the eggs in
- use a timer
- keep a bowl of cool water to the side ready to cool them and peel them
This mustard egg combo would be perfect as a sandwich filling (if you’re going the bread route). Be sure to use a good quality dijon mustard, it makes all the difference.
So go get your BIG VEGIE BREAKFAST on and enjoy every (toast-free) bit of it!
Mustard Eggs on a Mushroom
What you need:
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp butter
- Small handful of parsley
- sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 2 large field mushrooms
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Optional: a squeeze of lemon, slices of tomato
What to do:
- Boil a small pot of water filled 2/3 of the way. When boiling add eggs carefully and boil for 5mins and 30 seconds. When they’re done, place then in a bowl of cool water and peel.
- Meanwhile while your eggs are cooking heat coconut oil in the pan on medium heat and add chopped garlic, cook until translucent and add field mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms for a 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked
- Now that your eggs are cooked and peeled, place them in a bowl and mash with butter, mustard, sea salt, pepper and parlsey
- Remove cooked mushrooms from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Cut your avocado into thin slices and place on top of mushrooms
- Add egg mixture on top, season and enjoy!