Buckwheat Banana Bread
Gluten-free / Sugar-free / Dairy-free / Grain-free
Tea and toast is where it’s at for an afternoon in. So when I woke up this morning with a craving for banana bread and nothing much else to do on my day off, i set out on a mission to find ripe bananas. I have another amazing banana bread recipe on the blog but just thought i’d mix it up and use some different flours. My favourite thing to do in the kitchen. WING IT! I used quinoa flour and buckwheat flour to make this delicious bread… and it was absolutely delicious!
Buckwheat is a gluten-free grain, that’s great for pancakes and bread. It has a little bit of a seed-like flavour but works well with bananas. I used eggs and flax meal to bind the ingredients together. My friend Averie and fellow health conscious foodie here in Sydney, had some Amazonia Raw Protein Powder in the fridge that’s full of goodness including digestive enzymes, amino acids and probiotics, so i added a couple of tablespoons of that for a bit of flavour and long lasting energy.
I found this banana bread went really well with Tahini, but you could also spread butter, honey, almond butter, cacao spread or top with fresh fruit and yoghurt! That’s the thing i love about banana bread, it doesn’t cross over in to cake territory, especially when you use whole food ingredients like honey to sweeten, nuts, seeds and protein rich eggs. The topping can be as simple as a butter or as fancy as labne and berries/ fresh figs and toasted almonds… But in my mind, it’s still a healthier meal to satisfy that sweet tooth a little.
Since quinoa has a high protein content, it helps the flour to be a little more dense and hold it’s own in a gluten-free bread. The gluten in wheat is what helps bread bind together and gluten is actually a protein too. I found quinoa and buckwheat paired really well for this bread, it held together perfectly and had a great texture.
Anyway, i hope you enjoy this recipe as much as i did!
Buckwheat Banana Loaf
What you need:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 heaped tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons RAW Vanilla Protein Powder
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius
- Mix eggs until fluffy
- Mash 2 bananas with honey, apple cider, almond milk and coconut oil
- Mix quinoa flour, cinnamon, baking soda and buckwheat flour
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients
- Line loaf tin with baking paper
- Pour mixture in to tin
- Slice the last banana in half and place on top in a fancy looking way
- Bake for 35 mins on 200 degrees celius or until golden on top
- Allow to cool for 10mins before cutting
- Serve with butter, tahini, berries and yoghurt or almond butter!