Good morning beautiful people! I’m about to shake up your breakfast world! When you think of a big breakfast do you think thick toast, eggs, bacon, baked beans and hollandaise? I know, i know, sounds like heaven! Well i have a special, healthy BIG Breakfast alternative for you that is sooo good for you and yummy as well! I struggle to have an egg breakfast without toast. How can i go grain free, or bread free when eggs are on the menu? Well i am telling you, that this Quinoa Eggs Breakfast Bowl will not have you dreaming about buttered toast again, it’s that good! When i was younger i used to have bread, sandwiches, toast or toasted sandwiches all the time. It was a staple as i’m sure it still is for most people. However, with all the research pointing to grains and gluten being a contributing factor to many diseases, including alzheimers, anxiety, depression, diabetes and more i’m cutting down on grains, even gluten-free grains and of course refined carbohydrates. I’m choosing better alternatives like Quinoa or Buckwheat. Read Grain Brain by David Perlmutter to get the low down on why grains and gluten are be harmful to your health, it’s an interesting read! Quinoa is a great gluten-free substitute, it’s actually a seed and is high in protein so helps to keep your blood sugar levels stable. It actually goes perfectly with eggs and can be used for so many conventional dishes like fried rice, porridge and also in salads.
Do you like my Arie-Elle Logo i drew on my special chalk mug in the picture below? I’ve been wanting to incorporate my little curly-haired mascot into the site for a while and i found this cute little mug and thought it was the perfect opportunity for “little Arie-Elle” to feature!.
A word on Eggs:
Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat! YES! Please eat eggs (unless you’re a vegan of course), they are a complete protein with good fats like omega-3’s (only if grass fed, avoid grain-fed they are higher in omega-6), balanced and healthy cholesterol and vitamin D. You want to buy your eggs free-range or from a pasture, organic or biodynamic. Trust me it’s worth spending a little extra on the good stuff! Look for good, strong, hard shells, some shells can be a little thin which may mean they haven’t had enough wandering in the sun.
I’ll be honest, i completely failed and forgot to add the avocado into the picture so please do add avocado to this yummy breaky, it definitely adds to the flavour and will give you some good monounsaturated fats, is great for your skin and the female reproductive system.
Be sure to add a squeeze of vitamin C rich lemon onto your spinach to aid in the absorption of iron. Spinach also has vitamin A, vitamin B-12 & 6, calcium and magnesium.
I loooove smoked salmon. it’s an occasional food for me and i like to go for cold-smoked and wild, alaskan salmon if you can find it!
Quinoa Eggs Breakfast Bowl
What you need:
- 2 free range, organic/biodynamic eggs
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp chopped dill
- 1-2 tablespoons goats cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 25 g cold smoked salmon
- half an avocado (optional)
- lemon wedge
- Coconut oil for cooking
- pinch sea salt
(see instructions below) WhAT TO DO
- Cook quinoa: 1/2 cup quinoa soaked over night. Strain and add 1 cup water and strained quinoa into a pot and bring to the boil, then down to a simmer. Cook for 10 mins or until all the water has absorbed. TIP: I like to cook a big batch of quinoa to use over the week. that way all you have to do is heat it and add dill and goats cheese. Add Dill, sea salt and crumbled goats cheese to cooked quinoa and stir well. Set aside.
- Cook eggs: pour water into a small pot until filled 3/4 of the way to the top. Bring to the boil and carefully spoon in 2 eggs and cook for 5 mins. (Meanwhile cook spinach as below). Once eggs are cooked then transfer to a bowl with cold water. Peel shells off eggs ready to serve
- Cook Spinach in a pan heat coconut oil on medium heat and add spinach with a pinch of sea salt until wilted (about 3-4 minutes)
- In your serving bowl assemble quinoa, salmon, cooked spinach, avocado and eggs on top of quinoa. Garnish with dill and a lemon wedge. Season to taste. ENJOY!